THR's Women in Entertainment 2012: Power 100
In 2009, she made headlines when she was named to lead the largest theater circuit in the U.S. The exhibition business is notorious for being dominated by men, and Miles, 46, is the first woman other than Shari Redstone to lead a major circuit. She has become a keen negotiator in dealing with Hollywood studios. Regal, valued at $2.6 billion, had its highest first quarter this year, generating net income of $46.3 million, up from a $23.6 million loss in the 2011 period. Trained as an accountant, Miles has focused on payroll costs and making sure each theater is operating as efficiently as possible. She has spent her entire adult life in Knoxville, Tenn., where Regal is based.
Moment I knew I wanted to work in the business: When I joined Regal in 1999 as CFO after working for one of the big accounting firms. I saw a lot of potential in the exhibition business for someone with strong financial experience.
Who gave me my first big break: [Former Regal CEO] Mike Campbell. He hired me as CFO.
When I leave work each day, I can't wait to: See my husband and talk to my boys, who are 21 and 19. I often joke that it's male-centric wherever I go -- even my dog is a guy.
Favorite way to unwind on the weekend: Exercise. I run and do other cardio to keep my sanity. Also, I have two sisters I keep in touch with a lot. My indulgence Chardonnay.
Can't get through my workday without: My iPhone.
Most surprising songs on my iPod: The sheer number of Michael Jackson songs.
Proudest accomplishment this year: All that Regal has accomplished.
Totally starstruck around: Hugh Jackman. I met him when Regal had a premiere for Real Steel in Knoxville.
What I'd tell my 22-year-old self about working in Hollywood: It's never as good as it seems, and it's never as bad as it seems.
Embarrassed to admit that I watch: I'm a big fan of Dumb & Dumber. What can I say? I have the humor of a 15-year-old boy.
- Items 1-10
- Items 11-20
- Items 21-30
- Items 31-40
- Items 41-50
- Items 51-60
- Items 61-70
- Items 71-80
- Items 81-90
- Items 91-100
- Comics Legend Daniel Clowes on Hate Mail, Jim Belushi, and Not Forgiving Shia LaBeouf
- How Much Rape Is Too Much Rape on My Favorite Shows? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Exclusive Photos of A$AP Rocky Chilling, Blazing With an Artist Pal
- The End of the Tour Trailer: Jason Segel Goes Full Capote As David Foster Wallace
- Lily Collins & Jamie Campbell Bower Are Officially Back Together - See Their PDA Pics!
- Orange is the New Black's Danielle Brooks to Make Broadway Debut in 'Color Purple'!
- Alan Ritchson Goes Shirtless for 'I Can Do That' Aerial Dance with Nicole Scherzinger! (Video)
- Bradley Cooper & Irina Shayk Have a Day Date in London