Next Gen 2011: Hollywood's Fastest-Rising Stars
Weiss, 30, took the circular path to get to his position at Paradigm, where he plays a key role packaging films, repping financiers and selling completed films. He arrived at the company as an intern in 2002 and, after graduating from Hobart College in upstate New York, segued to an assistant position in the feature lit department a year later. He left in 2005 to try his hand as an independent producer but found, after a time, that the job wasn't for him. "I enjoyed a lot of aspects of producing, but when you look at the amount of projects you have to have in development compared to how many actually get made, it was really frustrating," he says. That's why, when he returned to Paradigm three years ago, he found his current job so rewarding. "Within the finance group here at Paradigm, I found that if you really believe in something, you have a leg up. You can pick and choose the right genre, the right budget, the right cast, because you know what it looks like on the other side, in terms of distribution." Last year, the newly married Weiss helped sell Sundance Audience Award winner Circumstance to Participant Media and Roadside Attractions, The Devil's Double to Lionsgate and the Michael Rapaport documentary Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest to Sony Pictures Classics. He also arranged financing for the Channing Tatum movie Ten Year. Not to stop there, Weiss was integral in sales of Andy Garcia's City Island and Toronto festival winner Beautiful Boy.
- Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp Recap: The Public-Urination Case of a Lifetime
- Miss Piggy and Kermit Have Also Called It Quits; the Summer of Breakups Extends to Animals
- Stonewall Trailer: Jonathan Rhys Meyers Fights for Gay Rights in Roland Emmerich’s Passion Project
- Another One Down: Zayn Malik and Perrie Edwards End Their Engagement
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals the Qualities She Looks For in a Boyfriend
- Ellen Page Steps Out With Rumored Girlfriend Samantha Thomas
- Miles Teller Got to Skip the Customs Line at the Airport Because of 'Fantastic Four' Role (Video)
- Meryl Streep Got A Guitar Lesson from Neil Young for 'Ricki & The Flash'!