The Hollywood Reporter Reveals the Industry's Top 25 Art Collectors
Grazer was producing the 1999 comedy Bowfinger when star Steve Martin introduced him to collecting.
"He said, 'I'm going to take you to a few places, and all you do is pick what reaches you on an emotional basis,' " he recalls. Grazer has been operating on instinct ever since, snapping up several Andy Warhol pieces, including Diamond Dust Shoes and two Rorschachs. He also owns Ed Ruscha's first acrylic Cables/Fittings, a dozen Raymond Pettibon pieces, a Gerhard Richter work, several Rudolf Stingels and Richard Prince's Surfer Nurse ("because I'm a surfer").
He even hired David Bernardi, a former art magazine editor with zero film experience, as a creative executive at Imagine Entertainment to keep an art adviser in-house. "David would say, 'Do it.' He'd make me jump off the cliff every time," he says.
Although Bernardi has since left Imagine, Grazer is still known to make impulse buys for his new Pacific Palisades home and his Malibu getaway. He vows to land a Jeff Koons sculpture, which "just ignites everything that's inside of you emotionally," he says. And though Grazer, whose collection also boasts a Mike Kelley wooden installation and a pair of Martin Kippenberger pieces, now works with adviser Candy Coleman, he mostly keeps his collecting a solitary pursuit: "I don't want to get too influenced by somebody," he says.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay