Hollywood's 20 Masters of Horror: The Twisted Talents Raising the Most Hell
Moretz owes her career to horror. The actress starred in 2005’s remake of The Amityville Horror (which grossed $108 million worldwide) at the age of 6. “It was the first time I was ever scared on a set,” she says. “Ryan Reynolds picks me up in one scene and grabs me, and I remember walking away and telling my mom that it scared me a little.”
Her role as Chelsea, the youngest in a family living in a haunted home, led to a part in 2008’s The Eye, starring Jessica Alba. As a young teen in 2010, she played a troubled vampire in Let Me In and the vulgar kid vigilante Hit Girl in Kick-Ass, which won her the hearts of fanboys everywhere.
After charming families in Martin Scorsese’s Hugo and camping it up in Tim Burton’s Dark Shadows, Moretz, 16, is returning to horror with Carrie, MGM and Screen Gems’ adaptation (out Oct. 18) of Stephen King’s 1974 novel. MGM originally was looking for an older actress (Sissy Spacek was 27 when she played the outcast who takes telekinetic revenge on her high school tormentors in Brian De Palma’s 1976 film).
But Moretz’s life as a home-schooled child star — and the professional maturity that comes with a résumé that’s 30 films deep — made her perfect for King’s very first heroine. “I think what worked for me is that I feel incredibly vulnerable around teenagers,” she says. “I never went to high school, I never had the time to understand them.”
Read THR’s Q&A with Chloe Grace Moretz here.
Read THR’s complete Masters of Horror list here.
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!