THR's Women in Entertainment 2011: Power 100
It's been a busy year for Lewis, between in-house productions The Descendants, Stoker and The East. Lewis and her colleagues didn't miss a beat when Alexander Payne brought in Kaui Hart Hemmings' book and asked if Searchlight was interested in turning the novel into a film. "We immediately said yes, and then Alexander decided to direct it himself, which was a blessed joy for all of us," Lewis recalls.
Payne's Ad Hominem has an overall production deal with Searchlight, which released the filmmaker's critical darling and box office hit Sideways. (Lewis, 55, has known Payne since their days at UCLA's graduate film program.) Descendants is the first Searchlight pic starring George Clooney. "He's an incredibly intelligent, cool, charismatic person, and very focused. He and Alexander have a wonderful relationship," she says.
But what Lewis is most proud of is her varied slate. Stoker marks director Chan-wook Park's English-language debut and stars Mia Wasikowska, Nicole Kidman, Matthew Goode and Dermot Mulroney. Shot in Nashville and written by former Prison Break star Wentworth Miller, the ensemble thriller centers on a young woman who loses her father and must contend with a mysterious uncle. The East, shot in Shreveport, La., is directed by Zal Batmanglij, an emerging filmmaker who first caught notice at Sundance with Sound of My Voice, and stars Ellen Page and Alexander Skarsgard. "The East is a really distinctive story," Lewis says. "These three films really represent the range of my tastes and Searchlight's tastes."
One funny coincidence: When Lewis went to Kauai to visit the set of Descendants, the cottage where Payne was shooting was the very same cottage she'd rented years before while on vacation. Lewis has been with Searchlight since Tom Rothman founded the division in 1994.
- Items 1-10
- Items 11-20
- Items 21-30
- Items 31-40
- Items 41-50
- Items 51-60
- Items 61-70
- Items 71-80
- Items 81-90
- Items 91-100
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet