THR's 2012 Digital Power 50
Early MTV music makers couldn't monetize costly videos, but Vevo was a game changer, producing ad revenue for YouTube clips; it has paid out $100 million to artists and labels since its 2009 launch. Sony, UMG and EMI have a stake, and Caraeff, 36, has seen viewers double to 63 million uniques as Vevo delves into live events, original programming and Xbox integration.
Sell songs to a public used to getting music for free? At 28, Ek, the Swede who founded cloud-based streaming service Spotify, proved it was possible. His 3-year-old, $2 billion company now accounts for half of all music sold in Sweden and boasts 2.5 million paying customers globally. It launched in the U.S. in 2011 with Facebook and all four major labels signed on.
Since its 2002 launch, Shazam has helped more than 175 million users instantly identify 1 billion songs and spend $100 million on digital music. Under Fisher, 42, the service expanded to television, where "tagging" the screen will bring up credits, brand info and bonus content. NBCUniversal
and Super Bowl advertisers are on board. Next up: a Shazam player.
Director of content partnerships, Android
A well-known player in the litigious world of licensing as the former chief counsel for YouTube, Levine, 43, is now applying her "pitbull" negotiating skills to business development at Google Music (launched in fall 2011), where she deals with the music industry. So far, Universal Music, Sony, EMI and such prominent indie labels as Merge, Matador and XL have signed on.
In Internet radio, Westergren, 46, defines forward-thinking. He launched Pandora 11 years ago, and today, some 125 million users spend an average of 18 hours a month tuned into its radio stations on more than 450 devices, good for 68 percent market share. Those numbers bolster the company's valuation of more than $2.6 billion and put it in competition with terrestrial broadcast giants.
- Content Titans
- How You Watch
- How It Gets Out There
- Who Pays the Way
- How You Connect
- Mobile Gaming
- How You Make It
- Viral Videos
- Talent Agencies
- Video Games
- Bill Hader Thinks Recent 'SNL' Fan-Voted Bracket Needed More Women
- Grover And Abby Cadabby From 'Sesame Street' Really Love Michelle Obama's Hugs
- Toddler Takes The Lead In Choreographing Interpretive Dance For Adults
- Alison Bechdel Awarded MacArthur Fellowship: 'Fun Home' Creator One Of 21 New Fellows
- Adam Arkin on The Bridge, Directing Himself, and Getting Mistaken for George Clooney
- Get a Glimpse of the Hannibal Writers’ Room in This Clip From the Season 2 DVD
- That Story About the Django Unchained Actress Handcuffed for ‘Kissing While Black’ Just Got More Complicated
- Watch a Supercut of Every Impression Bill Hader Did on SNL
- An In Depth Joan Rivers Biography is In the Works
- Taylor Schilling & 'OITNB' Cast Brighten Up the Red Carpet at Netflix Launch in Berlin!
- Avril Lavigne & Chad Kroeger's Relationship Reportedly in Trouble: 'They've Been Fighting A Lot'
- Ellen Page Wears Nearly Nothing & Flashes Her Amazing Abs for W's New Royals Issue