Reality TV: THR's 50 Most Powerful List
How do you maintain a streak when you’re coming off your best ratings year ever? “We’re constantly pushing ourselves to innovate,” says Hoogstra, who was promoted in March 2011 to head development and programming strategy at History and H2. “We do an enormous amount of internal development, and that keeps us from fishing in the same pond as everyone else.”
Still, Hoogstra knows that continued momentum at History — which had its best year ever in 2011, the latest in five consecutive years of ratings growth — will “be a challenge, but we’re doing it on a volume of franchise hits.” Those include Pawn Stars (5.7 million viewers) and spinoff Cajun Pawn Stars (3.2 million), as well as American Pickers (5 million) and American Restoration (2.3 million). “We look for programs that feel unexpected for us,” he says.
The married father of two, 40, is mum on what those are, a precaution in the derivative world of unscripted television, but points to Top Shot, History’s hit sharpshooting competition series, as one successful swing for the fences.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Arsenio Hall 'Proves' David Letterman Wanted Him As A Replacement (VIDEO)
- Conan Calls Out '60 Minutes' For Even More Questionable Dubbing
- A Conversation with Bertrand Tavernier: On Politics, His Favorite Star, Early Influences, and His New Film
- Spotify's '90s Smash Hits! Playlist Is The Best Thing Since TRL
- James Franco Is the Happiest Guy Opening His 'New Film Stills' Art Exhibition at Pace Gallery!
- Tom Hiddleson 'Very Much' Wants to Play a Normal Character Who Wears Jeans!
- Cher Rocks Heart Shaped Nipple Pasties, Displays Fabulous Figure at 67!
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers Has Some Time Before Filming 'Secret Scripture'