THR's Women in Entertainment 2011: Power 100
"We have been pretty agile as a management company," says Goldsmith-Vein of the company she founded in 1993. "When there was contraction in the television animation space, we made a move into representing content, and we've really been able to build substantially on the libraries that we represent, the publishing houses that we represent and the individual authors that we represent."
Highlights from the past year include client Angus Wall winning an Oscar (with Kirk Baxter) for editing the David Fincher-directed best picture nominee The Social Network. Actor Steve Buscemi has found the role of a lifetime in Nucky Thompson on HBO's Boardwalk Empire; he won the Golden Globe for best actor and received an Emmy nomination this year. And Robert Goolrick (A Reliable Wife), Mo Willems (Happy Pig Day!) and Rick Riordan (The Throne of Fire) are among the author clients who landed books on the New York Times bestseller list.
The Gotham Group also has continued to expand into feature production. Despite the tepid returns for the Taylor Lautner action vehicle Abduction this fall, the company has dozens of projects in development.
Goldsmith-Vein, 48, who grew up in La Jolla, Calif., spent her college years at Hollins University in Virginia and UCLA. She now lives in Hancock Park with her husband and two kids, son Jack, 8, and daughter Caroline, 11, who accompanied her on a recent family trip to southern Ireland to "get in touch with the Irish roots, have a pint" and hang out with 80-year-old author and beer heir Desmond Guinness.
But what Goldsmith-Vein is most proud of passing on is her rare status as a woman who owns her own business. "It's important to set an example for young girls and young women," she says. "It's a unique position to be in. The people it is most valuable to are my daughter and my daughter's friends. I think my daughter's really proud of having a mom who's running a company."
- Items 1-10
- Items 11-20
- Items 21-30
- Items 31-40
- Items 41-50
- Items 51-60
- Items 61-70
- Items 71-80
- Items 81-90
- Items 91-100
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!