The first-ever list spotlights the culinary icons and rising influencers of L.A., from the vegan chef loved by Ginnifer Goodwin to Carl Reiner's favorite Austrian sausage-maker.
This story first appeared in the June 7 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
From cross-cultural mashups to restaurant pop-ups, L.A.’s most beloved culinary icons and rising influencers drive the appetites of Hollywood’s food chain. Some, like Wolfgang Puck and Nobu Matsuhisa, are global brands with decades-long CVs. Others on THR’s first annual Chefs List, such as the young Ari Taymor and Craig Thornton, are under-the-radar breakouts on the cusp of the A-list dining stratosphere.
How the THR Chefs List is chosen
The inaugural 2013 honorees are split equally into Icon and Influential categories, determined by staff analysis based on cooking talent, creativity, clout and relevance. Each Icon has had a key, discernible effect on advancing the L.A. dining scene. Each Influential has clearly begun the process of achieving the same.
Written by Gary Baum and Tim Appelo with reporting by Bill Higgins and Erin Weinger.
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Interview: Sinéad O'Connor Isn't Bossy; She's the Boss
- Princeton Mom Doesn't Want 'Sugar Babies' To Sully The Good Ivy League Name
- Pregnant Mila Kunis Is Still Continuing Her Yoga Workouts
- Pregnant Megan Hilty & Her Hubby 'Bully' Audiences Into Buying Her Album to Help Pay For Their Baby's Education!
- Kim Kardashian Satisfies Her Sweet Tooth with Some Fro-Yo
- Mary-Kate Olsen Adds Horseback Riding to Her Resume - See Her Competition Pics!