The first-ever list spotlights the culinary icons and rising influencers of L.A., from the vegan chef loved by Ginnifer Goodwin to Carl Reiner's favorite Austrian sausage-maker.
This story first appeared in the June 7 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
From cross-cultural mashups to restaurant pop-ups, L.A.’s most beloved culinary icons and rising influencers drive the appetites of Hollywood’s food chain. Some, like Wolfgang Puck and Nobu Matsuhisa, are global brands with decades-long CVs. Others on THR’s first annual Chefs List, such as the young Ari Taymor and Craig Thornton, are under-the-radar breakouts on the cusp of the A-list dining stratosphere.
How the THR Chefs List is chosen
The inaugural 2013 honorees are split equally into Icon and Influential categories, determined by staff analysis based on cooking talent, creativity, clout and relevance. Each Icon has had a key, discernible effect on advancing the L.A. dining scene. Each Influential has clearly begun the process of achieving the same.
Written by Gary Baum and Tim Appelo with reporting by Bill Higgins and Erin Weinger.
- Nick Gurlach From Turbo Suit is Really as Awesome as He Seems
- Esquire Gathers Your Favorite Comedians To Uncover The Greatest Jokes Ever Told
- Demi Lovato Says She 'Wouldn't Be Alive' Without Wilmer Valderrama
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Clearly Not "Out of Time" - Stone Temple Pilots' Chester Bennington and Dean DeLeo Discuss the Evolution and Future of the Band
- American Ultra Trailer: Jesse Eisenberg Is a Stone(d) Cold Killer Who Will Save Kristen Stewart
- ‘Serial’ Will Have at Least 3 Seasons, With the Second One Coming This Fall
- The Artist to Watch in 2016 Has Been Dead for 20 Years
- Watch an Exclusive Clip From the Heavily Hyped Me and Earl and the Dying Girl