A list of who is ha-ha hot right now in Hollywood -- plus Judd Apatow reveals 15 facts about Lena Dunham, Jimmy Kimmel's writers share his best script notes and how to rewrite "Zero Dark Thirty" as a comedy.
This story first appeared in the May 10 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
When a passed-over sitcom pitch becomes a billion-dollar asset (Modern Family), when a guy morphs from web upstart to Comedy Central stalwart (Daniel Tosh), when buzzy awards-show hosts generate double-digit ratings boosts (Team Tina & Amy and, yes, Seth MacFarlane too), it’s clear that comedy in Hollywood is no joke.
As you’ll read, the members of THR’s Comedy Class of 2013 will do anything for a laugh, seizing every opportunity on the stage, page and screen -- big, small or mobile -- to build fresh fan bases (and revenue streams). Editors measured who in the past 12 months gained the most momentum (which is why some big names -- Ferrell, Sandler -- didn’t make the cut) as they merged mass with edge, exploited cultural memes and changed distribution models to make the most of the genre’s new multiplatform, social-media-saturated reality.
And yes, people, they’re laughing all the way to the bank.
Written by Matthew Belloni, Alison Brower, Leslie Bruce, Rebecca Ford, Lesley Goldberg, Marisa Guthrie, Michael O'Connell, Lacey Rose, Sophie Schillaci, Tatiana Siegel and Stacey Wilson
Edited by Lacey Rose and Alison Brower
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Robert Davi: Singing the Songs He Loves in a Place He Loves
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Debuts First Teaser Trailer - Watch Now!
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Almost Sweeps Young Hollywood Awards 2014 - See Complete Winners List!
- Newlyweds Naya Rivera & Ryan Dorsey Kiss, Look So in Love in Los Angeles - See Her Huge Wedding Ring!
- Justin Bieber Receives the Champ of Charity Award at the Young Hollywood Awards 2014