THR's Women in Entertainment 2012: Power 100
The former publisher of People en Espanol and Teen People joined Telemundo as COO in 2008 and oversees all domestic revenue and marketing; digital media and emerging platforms; mun2, Telemundo’s Latino youth cable network; and consumer insights. This year, she guided flagship Spanish-language broadcaster Telemundo through its first rebrand in more than a decade while continuing to focus on original content (Telemundo upped its original programming by 40 percent in 2012). With Election Night coverage and Mexican club soccer powering the network to its best November (among total viewers and those 18-49), Telemundo is on track to finish the year with its highest-rated weekday primetime in network history. Native New Yorker Hernandez, 46, was instrumental in launching the sales and marketing initiative Hispanics at NBCU, and she serves on New York City’s Latin Media and Entertainment Commission.
Moment I knew I wanted to work in the business: When I was in college [at Tufts], studying to go to law school, but every class I wanted to take was creative.
Toughest decision I had to make this year: Not ordering a second season of the mun2 show From Beyond, which is all about the paranormal, a subject that's big in the Hispanic community.
When I leave work each day, I can't wait to: See my husband [Jack Rico, who runs the Latino-targeted movie website ShowBizCafe].
Favorite way to unwind: Go upstate to our house near New Paltz, N.Y., in the mountains -- we even have bears visit us.
My indulgence: Expensive, very high heels, usually Prada.
Can't get through my workday without: I get antsy when my BlackBerry battery gets low, so I walk around with an extra battery.
When my relatives are confused about what I do, I tell them: I am "La Patrona," which is the name of one of our telenovelas. It means "The Boss."
- Items 1-10
- Items 11-20
- Items 21-30
- Items 31-40
- Items 41-50
- Items 51-60
- Items 61-70
- Items 71-80
- Items 81-90
- Items 91-100
- Nick Gurlach From Turbo Suit is Really as Awesome as He Seems
- Esquire Gathers Your Favorite Comedians To Uncover The Greatest Jokes Ever Told
- Demi Lovato Says She 'Wouldn't Be Alive' Without Wilmer Valderrama
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Clearly Not "Out of Time" - Stone Temple Pilots' Chester Bennington and Dean DeLeo Discuss the Evolution and Future of the Band
- American Ultra Trailer: Jesse Eisenberg Is a Stone(d) Cold Killer Who Will Save Kristen Stewart
- ‘Serial’ Will Have at Least 3 Seasons, With the Second One Coming This Fall
- The Artist to Watch in 2016 Has Been Dead for 20 Years
- Watch an Exclusive Clip From the Heavily Hyped Me and Earl and the Dying Girl