The Hollywood Reporter Reveals the Industry's Top 25 Art Collectors
On his 2009 track "Ain't I," the entertainer boasts, "I got Warhols on my hall's walls," and one of the artist's gold Rorschachs does indeed grace not only the wall above Jay Z's fireplace but also the cover of his 2010 memoir, Decoded.
But Warhol isn't the only artist Jay Z openly admires; his most recent album, Magna Carta, name-checks the "yellow Basquiat in the kitchen corner" (it's actually an untitled 1983 print that hangs in the Roc Nation office). Jay Z also has picked up specially commissioned pieces by Damien Hirst and such blue-chip painters as Richard Prince and Ed Ruscha, but on his well-documented trips to Art Basel Miami Beach, he and wife Beyonce have supported lesser-known talents like young Chicago-based street artist Hebru Brantley, whose painting they bought in 2012 for $20,000.
In July, Jay Z shot the video for his track "Picasso Baby" in New York's Pace Gallery, enlisting the art world elite as extras, from his art adviser Jeanne Greenberg Rafferty to performance artist Marina Abramovic to quirky critic Jerry Saltz.
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!
- Will Smith Posted This Awesome Photo for Jada's 43rd Birthday!