The Hollywood Reporter Reveals the Industry's Top 25 Art Collectors
On his 2009 track "Ain't I," the entertainer boasts, "I got Warhols on my hall's walls," and one of the artist's gold Rorschachs does indeed grace not only the wall above Jay Z's fireplace but also the cover of his 2010 memoir, Decoded.
But Warhol isn't the only artist Jay Z openly admires; his most recent album, Magna Carta, name-checks the "yellow Basquiat in the kitchen corner" (it's actually an untitled 1983 print that hangs in the Roc Nation office). Jay Z also has picked up specially commissioned pieces by Damien Hirst and such blue-chip painters as Richard Prince and Ed Ruscha, but on his well-documented trips to Art Basel Miami Beach, he and wife Beyonce have supported lesser-known talents like young Chicago-based street artist Hebru Brantley, whose painting they bought in 2012 for $20,000.
In July, Jay Z shot the video for his track "Picasso Baby" in New York's Pace Gallery, enlisting the art world elite as extras, from his art adviser Jeanne Greenberg Rafferty to performance artist Marina Abramovic to quirky critic Jerry Saltz.
- Exclusive Photos of A$AP Rocky Chilling, Blazing With an Artist Pal
- The End of the Tour Trailer: Jason Segel Goes Full Capote As David Foster Wallace
- Fred Armisen, Zosia Mamet, Vanessa Bayer Re-create Golden Girls for Jenny Lewis
- ‘We Have Lost the Ability to Flush the Toilet’: Art-Festival Culture in Istanbul
- Jason Statham Dishes on Working With Pretentious Actors
- Tom Cruise Always Wants to Give His Audience Their 'Money's Worth'
- Bruce Jenner Fires Back at Lawsuit Over Wrongful Car Crash Death
- Zosia Mamet, Fred Armisen, & Vanessa Bayer Recreate the 'Golden Girls' for Jenny Lewis' 'She's Not Me' Video - Watch Now!