THR's Women in Entertainment 2011: Power 100
As head of WME's huge lit department, Walsh felt a great sense of relief when the digital book biz finally took shape this year. "This was the year we landed on shore," says Walsh, who helped guide more than 200 books into the market in 2011. "We spent the 18 months prior to this year feeling like Christopher Columbus: We were on the boat and had our supplies, which is our content, our stories, but we weren't exactly sure where we would be landing in terms of how that content was going to be delivered to the reader."
Among the clients who prompted surges were Ann Brashares (Sisterhood Everlasting), Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (Cold Vengeance) and Stacy Schiff (Cleopatra: A Life), as well as books by actors Portia de Rossi (Unbearable Lightness) and Rob Lowe (Stories I Only Tell My Friends).
WME's newly launched lecture unit, which has recently featured Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz and ex-FDIC chairwoman Sheila Bair, also has helped feed book sales. "I find readers where they live," says Walsh, who grew up on the Upper West Side of Manhattan and now lives in Chelsea with her husband and three children, ages 17, 13 and 9.
"There've been times in my life when I've passed out books at a train station. There's nothing I won't do to get a book into the hands of the readers." Walsh, 44, also was instrumental in organizing WME's first women's summit in October, which assembled 120 female execs from the agency's offices around the world.
As the only woman on WME's 12-person board, Walsh is equally passionate about her advocacy for women inside and outside of the business. "I take it as a sacred responsibility to make sure that the female perspective is always being represented," she says. "You'll know I've done my job if in the next few years I'm not the only one on the board."
- Items 1-10
- Items 11-20
- Items 21-30
- Items 31-40
- Items 41-50
- Items 51-60
- Items 61-70
- Items 71-80
- Items 81-90
- Items 91-100
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Robert Davi: Singing the Songs He Loves in a Place He Loves
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Debuts First Teaser Trailer - Watch Now!
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Almost Sweeps Young Hollywood Awards 2014 - See Complete Winners List!
- Newlyweds Naya Rivera & Ryan Dorsey Kiss, Look So in Love in Los Angeles - See Her Huge Wedding Ring!
- Justin Bieber Receives the Champ of Charity Award at the Young Hollywood Awards 2014