THR's Women in Entertainment 2011: Power 100
"I left Fox on a really high note," Salke says of her decision to exit the thriving studio (responsible for such hits as Glee, Modern Family and New Girl) for an executive role at the fourth-place network this summer. The draw, she says, was the opportunity to "take on this challenge" with her old friend Bob Greenblatt, who took the reins of NBC Entertainment in January.
Salke has spent the better part of the past four months listening to roughly 10 pitches per day, looking for creators who have a singular -- and often deeply personal -- vision the way Glee's Ryan Murphy, New Girl's Liz Meriwether and Modern Family's Steve Levitan and Chris Lloyd did when they pitched their respective projects to 20th Century Fox TV. "I'm really looking forward to bringing some of that success here because it's much needed," she says, a reference to NBC's continued ratings woes, which weren't helped by the failure of this fall's The Playboy Club.
Daunting as it may be, though, NBC's challenge fits squarely into Salke's longtime passion for the entertainment business, which began in earnest when she was an undergraduate at NYU, where she double majored in economics and writing for film and television. "It was kind of a funny left brain, right brain kind of thing," says Salke, 47, about her ongoing desire to merge the creative with the commercial.
These days, when she isn't sinking her teeth into scripts or production notes, the Los Angeles native likes to hit the ski slopes with her family in Deer Valley, Utah. The mother of three recently bought a home there with husband Bert, who runs the 20th offshoot Fox 21.
- Items 1-10
- Items 11-20
- Items 21-30
- Items 31-40
- Items 41-50
- Items 51-60
- Items 61-70
- Items 71-80
- Items 81-90
- Items 91-100
- Reese Witherspoon Loves Mindy Kaling's 'Wreath Witherspoon' Creation
- Ansel Elgort Responds To Rumors He's Gay: ‘I Like Girls, A Lot'
- Reading, PA's 'Ugly' Charlie Brown-Themed Christmas Tree Has More Holiday Spirit Than Most
- Aaron Sorkin, Judd Apatow Call 'The Interview' Decision An Attack On Free Speech
- 'Serial' Season One Finale Episode is Here - Listen Now & Find Out How it Ends!
- Scott Disick Goes Go Kart Racing After His Third Child's Birth
- James Franco Gets His Mind Off 'The Interview' with Lady Gaga's Help!
- Liam Neeson Brings 'Taken 3' to Berlin with Forest Whitaker for Premiere & Press Conference!