Next Gen 2011: Hollywood's Fastest-Rising Stars
It took Hipps, 34, a few years of art school to figure out which parts of the entertainment industry he wasn't interested in pursuing. "Everything leading up to the movie getting made and then everything after was always great, but I learned that watching the actual production can be a bit slow and boring," says the Bay Area native. Armed with that knowledge, Hipps moved to Los Angeles and took a string of executive-track gigs, first at the Innovative Artists talent agency and then at Michael Ovitz's entertainment company AMG. About three years ago, the TV and film junkie -- who spent the years between those jobs working on such TV projects as the Fox hit Prison Break -- landed at MRC. There, he has played an integral role in putting together the groundbreaking 26-episode Netflix deal for the upcoming series House of Cards, a David Fincher-produced political thriller starring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright. Other projects include a Chris Carter mystery drama being pitched to networks and a collection of niche comedies, including The Ricky Gervais Show, on HBO. The highlight for Hipps is the roster of talent with whom he has been able to work at the independent studio. "It makes my job 10 times easier when I can call someone up and say, 'We've got David Fincher or Chris Carter,' because then it doesn't really matter who Joe Hipps is," he says, laughing.
- Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp Recap: The Public-Urination Case of a Lifetime
- Miss Piggy and Kermit Have Also Called It Quits; the Summer of Breakups Extends to Animals
- Stonewall Trailer: Jonathan Rhys Meyers Fights for Gay Rights in Roland Emmerich’s Passion Project
- Another One Down: Zayn Malik and Perrie Edwards End Their Engagement
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals the Qualities She Looks For in a Boyfriend
- Ellen Page Steps Out With Rumored Girlfriend Samantha Thomas
- Miles Teller Got to Skip the Customs Line at the Airport Because of 'Fantastic Four' Role (Video)
- Meryl Streep Got A Guitar Lesson from Neil Young for 'Ricki & The Flash'!