Ryan Seacrest Is No. 1 on THR's Reality Power List
Jonathan Murray has been called the Man Who Invented Reality — at least, he and late partner Mary Ellis-Bunim created The Real World two decades ago. And the latest cycle, MTV Real World: Las Vegas, developed with Bunim/Murray president Gil Goldschein, is up 11 percent in ratings since last year. “We may not have played as big a stage as some of my fellow producers,” Murray says, “but we’ve always been innovative. I love being able to create a program for a brand, for a particular demo: MTV with The Real World, Kardashians for E! or Bad Girls Club for Oxygen. We have another Project Runway coming this summer, a 90-minute version, and we’ve been working on Best Ink for Oxygen for 2011.” Best Ink foregrounds something Murray holds dear: storytelling. “Not only is it a competition to find the best tattoo artist, tattoos tell a story.” Murray, though, kicks back with scripted shows. “I spent so much time watching cuts of reality shows, I actually want to watch something I don’t feel compelled to give a note on.”
- Comics Legend Daniel Clowes on Hate Mail, Jim Belushi, and Not Forgiving Shia LaBeouf
- How Much Rape Is Too Much Rape on My Favorite Shows? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Exclusive Photos of A$AP Rocky Chilling, Blazing With an Artist Pal
- The End of the Tour Trailer: Jason Segel Goes Full Capote As David Foster Wallace
- Lily Collins & Jamie Campbell Bower Are Officially Back Together - See Their PDA Pics!
- Orange is the New Black's Danielle Brooks to Make Broadway Debut in 'Color Purple'!
- Alan Ritchson Goes Shirtless for 'I Can Do That' Aerial Dance with Nicole Scherzinger! (Video)
- Bradley Cooper & Irina Shayk Have a Day Date in London