Ryan Seacrest Is No. 1 on THR's Reality Power List
Jonathan Murray has been called the Man Who Invented Reality — at least, he and late partner Mary Ellis-Bunim created The Real World two decades ago. And the latest cycle, MTV Real World: Las Vegas, developed with Bunim/Murray president Gil Goldschein, is up 11 percent in ratings since last year. “We may not have played as big a stage as some of my fellow producers,” Murray says, “but we’ve always been innovative. I love being able to create a program for a brand, for a particular demo: MTV with The Real World, Kardashians for E! or Bad Girls Club for Oxygen. We have another Project Runway coming this summer, a 90-minute version, and we’ve been working on Best Ink for Oxygen for 2011.” Best Ink foregrounds something Murray holds dear: storytelling. “Not only is it a competition to find the best tattoo artist, tattoos tell a story.” Murray, though, kicks back with scripted shows. “I spent so much time watching cuts of reality shows, I actually want to watch something I don’t feel compelled to give a note on.”
- 'Family Guy'/'Simpsons' Crossover Episode Sneak Peek Is Pure Bliss
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- 'The Flash' Cast Has a Blast at Buzzfeed's Rooftop Flash Bash
- Amanda Seyfried's Boyfriend Justin Long Almost Gets Tusks Sewn Into His Head in 'Tusk' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Naomi Watts Is In Talks to Star in Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Demolition'
- Kesha Gets Picked Up By Boyfriend Brad Ashenfelter at LAX Airport