THR's Women in Entertainment 2012: Power 100
After more than 30 years in TV news, Couric’s segue to daytime has produced the most-watched talk-show premiere in a decade (since Dr. Phil) — even if it has come down to earth since — several big gets (Barbra Streisand, EL James and the first interview with flesh-eating-disease survivor Aimee Copeland) and an opportunity to showcase her sense of humor (not something she could reveal behind the desk at CBS Evening News). Soon she’ll also be getting a new producer as longtime collaborator and Katie executive producer Jeff Zucker departs to take the reins at CNN. Couric, 55, pronounced herself “very excited” for Zucker while noting that she’s looking to build “on the strong foundation we’ve created.”
Moment I knew I wanted to work in journalism: I was working at ABC News as the desk assistant at the beginning of the Iran hostage crisis. I realized it was a profession that not only had a tremendous amount of responsibility, but you felt like you were at the epicenter of world events.
Who gave me my first big break: CNN asked me to move to Atlanta and be an associate producer on the daytime show Take Two. Don Farmer remembered me from ABC News, where he was at 20/20 as a correspondent. He knew I wanted to report, so he let me and critiqued my work. If Don hadn’t let me try my hand at on-camera work, I don’t think it ever would’ve happened.
Toughest decision I had to make: Whether to go on hormone replacement therapy.
My indulgence: Dark chocolate. Someone told me it has antioxidants. I’m not sure if it’s true, but I’m going with it.
Most surprising song on my iPhone: My ringtone is LMFAO’s “I’m Sexy and I Know It.” It’s a joke.
Proudest moment this year: My daughter got back a paper about Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman and their views of the afterlife. The teacher wrote, “Bravo.”
When my family is confused about what I do, I tell them: They’re obviously not watching my show.
- Items 1-10
- Items 11-20
- Items 21-30
- Items 31-40
- Items 41-50
- Items 51-60
- Items 61-70
- Items 71-80
- Items 81-90
- Items 91-100
- The Cannes Diaries 2015: Aishwarya, Hitchcock, Heelgate and Wajib
- Jane Fonda Discusses Why She Thought Warren Beatty Was Gay In W Magazine Interview
- "Valley of Love" at Cannes: Isabelle Huppert and Gerard Depardieu Summoned to Californian Desert by Dead Son
- B.B. King Viewing Draws More Than 1,000 In Las Vegas
- Johnny Depp Transforms into Whitey Bulgar in 'Black Mass' Teaser Trailer - Watch Now!
- John Stamos Releases Statement on Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen Not Returning For 'Full House' Revival
- Dakota Fanning Dealt With Inappropriate Questions During Childhood
- Orange is the New Black's Dascha Polanco Opens Up on Battling Depression