Power Lawyers: THR Unveils America's Top 100 Entertainment Attorneys
Cornell Law School
Why he matters: The former tax expert is the rare lawyer who gets involved in both deals and disputes. Client Barbra Streisand recently renegotiated a pact to keep her at one label (Columbia Records) for her entire 50-year career. Phillips also untangled years of Beach Boys bad blood that allowed them to tour.
Key case: Phillips' thorniest cases usually involve someone claiming an interest in his clients' songs. "Right now, Burt Bacharach has a lawsuit in Italy by someone claiming they wrote the Italian lyrics to one of his songs; Paul Anka is being sued in Boston by a man who's claiming an interest in the Michael Jackson song 'This Is It' that Paul co-wrote," he says. "Unfortunately, celebrities become targets for these crazy lawsuits."Click here to read THR's complete Power Lawyers list.
- LeBron James Stars In Emotional 'Re-Established' Ad For $200 Beats Headphones
- Jason Derulo Takes His "Talk Dirty" Party On The Road
- Rudy Giuliani, George Pataki And 2 Congressmen Plan Protest Of 'The Death of Klinghoffer' At Metropolitan Opera
- Paul Craft Dead At 76: Nashville Songwriter Inducted Into Hall Of Fame
- Patrick Dempsey Describes His Audition For 'Grey's Anatomy' & His First Read with Ellen Pompeo!
- Engaged Couple Robbie Amell & Italia Ricci Make It An Italian Dinner Date
- Ariana Grande & Rita Ora Glam Up Radio 1's Teen Awards 2014
- Heidi Klum & Boyfriend Vito Schnabel Show PDA After Her Divorce Finalized