Power Lawyers: THR Unveils America's Top 100 Entertainment Attorneys
Cornell Law School
Why he matters: The former tax expert is the rare lawyer who gets involved in both deals and disputes. Client Barbra Streisand recently renegotiated a pact to keep her at one label (Columbia Records) for her entire 50-year career. Phillips also untangled years of Beach Boys bad blood that allowed them to tour.
Key case: Phillips' thorniest cases usually involve someone claiming an interest in his clients' songs. "Right now, Burt Bacharach has a lawsuit in Italy by someone claiming they wrote the Italian lyrics to one of his songs; Paul Anka is being sued in Boston by a man who's claiming an interest in the Michael Jackson song 'This Is It' that Paul co-wrote," he says. "Unfortunately, celebrities become targets for these crazy lawsuits."Click here to read THR's complete Power Lawyers list.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!