Hollywood Reporter Names 25 Most Powerful Stylists List
Fremar forges relationships of total trust with her clients.
“All I said to Leslie was, ‘I want to do something soft,’ ” says Theron about the Dior couture pink flapper gown Fremar chose for her for the Globes. “Leslie knows where she wants to go with something, and I like that specificity. She has a great eye, makes quick decisions, knows my body and what I like and has access to the best stuff,” adds the star, who had memorable moments at the BAFTA tea in a ladylike yellow Stella McCartney sheath and at the Critics’ Choice Awards in a black Azzedine Alaia gown with cascading ruffles.
Like Young, Fremar began her career assisting Vogue’s Wintour; she later worked for the magazine’s fashion director, Tonne Goodman. “They started putting celebrities on their covers in 2003,” says Fremar, a Toronto native based in New York. “I liked that unlike models, actresses had opinions and cared about fit. There was a lot of interaction, and you had to figure out the puzzle.”
Fremar followed her publishing gig by working VIP relations for Prada but quit after a year when the call came to provide red-carpet looks for Salma Hayek, then to be a judge at the Cannes Film Festival.
She recently launched a Fruit of the Loom collection at Bloomingdale’s for people tired of spending big bucks on staples. “I’d buy something by The Row and be like, ‘I’m gonna dry-clean my T-shirt?’ ” she jokes. Fremar will style Theron for appearances surrounding Prometheus and Snow White and the Huntsman and new client Johansson for The Avengers.
- See the Visually Striking Trailer for Young Ones, With Michael Shannon and Elle Fanning
- The Feminist Horror Author You Need to Read Immediately
- ‘Age Has No Expiration Date’ Is the New ‘Blurred Lines,’ Says Pharrell in New Music Video
- Zoe Saldana Understands Why You Would Mistake Her for Other Black Actresses
- Lea Michele & Boyfriend Matthew Paetz Hit the Big Apple After Italian Getaway
- 'Weird Al' Yankovic Scores First Number 1 Album in 30 Year Career, MAGIC!'s 'Rude' Remains Number 1 Song
- Jake Gyllenhaal Enters World of Crime Reporting in First 'Nightcrawler' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Zoe Saldana Almost Quit Acting After Her Role in 'Pirates of the Caribbean': 'It Was Very Elitist'