Power Lawyers: THR Unveils America's Top 100 Entertainment Attorneys
UC Hastings College of the Law
Why he matters: Thompson has put together more than $1 billion of deals over the past year for Relativity Media and others -- including a joint venture between Sony and Constantine to launch The Mortal Instruments, a sister franchise to Resident Evil; as well as Leftfield Pictures' acquisition of reality TV maker Sirens Media (The Real Housewives of New Jersey). He also has done additional work on the Mark Burnett/Hearst Entertainment joint venture One Three Media, which is behind the smash hit miniseries The Bible.
Big deal: In May, Thompson handled the reported $300 million recapitalization of Relativity. "There were so many moving parts," he says. "We were the hub of the wheel, working with existing investors, new investors, lenders, the production financiers and print-and-advertising financiers. My team was sitting shoulder-to-shoulder with the Relativity [execs], and there were multiple times when we would work three or four days, all night through. But we got the entire thing done in a little less than eight weeks."Click here to read THR's complete Power Lawyers list.
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Sophia Bush Sends Congrats to Pal Aaron Paul For Emmy Win!
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'