Power Lawyers: THR Unveils America's Top 100 Entertainment Attorneys
UC Hastings College of the Law
Why he matters: Thompson has put together more than $1 billion of deals over the past year for Relativity Media and others -- including a joint venture between Sony and Constantine to launch The Mortal Instruments, a sister franchise to Resident Evil; as well as Leftfield Pictures' acquisition of reality TV maker Sirens Media (The Real Housewives of New Jersey). He also has done additional work on the Mark Burnett/Hearst Entertainment joint venture One Three Media, which is behind the smash hit miniseries The Bible.
Big deal: In May, Thompson handled the reported $300 million recapitalization of Relativity. "There were so many moving parts," he says. "We were the hub of the wheel, working with existing investors, new investors, lenders, the production financiers and print-and-advertising financiers. My team was sitting shoulder-to-shoulder with the Relativity [execs], and there were multiple times when we would work three or four days, all night through. But we got the entire thing done in a little less than eight weeks."Click here to read THR's complete Power Lawyers list.
- Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp Recap: The Public-Urination Case of a Lifetime
- Miss Piggy and Kermit Have Also Called It Quits; the Summer of Breakups Extends to Animals
- Stonewall Trailer: Jonathan Rhys Meyers Fights for Gay Rights in Roland Emmerich’s Passion Project
- Another One Down: Zayn Malik and Perrie Edwards End Their Engagement
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals the Qualities She Looks For in a Boyfriend
- Ellen Page Steps Out With Rumored Girlfriend Samantha Thomas
- Miles Teller Got to Skip the Customs Line at the Airport Because of 'Fantastic Four' Role (Video)
- Meryl Streep Got A Guitar Lesson from Neil Young for 'Ricki & The Flash'!