Next Gen 2012: Hollywood's Fastest-Rising Stars
Kives' roster ranges from the brawny (Bruce Willis) to the scrawny (Warren Buffett, Jesse Eisenberg), to say nothing of the beauties (Kate Hudson, Kate Bosworth). The Winnipeg, Canada-born agent, 31, orchestrated Arnold Schwarzenegger's return to the big screen and counts Obama speechwriter-turned-1600 Penn writer Jon Lovett among his politico-turned-writer clients.
BIG BREAK: Getting my first job in the CAA mailroom [after graduating from Stanford] despite being Canadian, because they don't sponsor people for work visas. Arlene Newman, head of HR, decided to make a one-time exception.
CAREER INSPIRATION: Growing up, I would read books on different entertainment players: David Geffen, Mike Ovitz and Barry Diller. Many started at agencies, so I decided from an early age that I wanted to be an agent.
BEST ADVICE: My high school debate coach told me to be the best version of myself.
10 YEARS AGO: I was working for Bill Clinton in the post-presidency in Harlem. I always told the president I wanted to be an agent. And he'd say, "You want to be a Secret Service agent?"
10 YEARS FROM NOW: I hope to be working with great clients and celebrating Hillary Clinton's re-election -- in 2020, after raising a lot of money.
BEST DAY: June 1, 2011. I got an e-mail that I got my green card, and I started running around CAA screaming like a madman.
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet