Next Gen 2013: Hollywood's New Class
Just before the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, Popelka reached a career high when he secured a $50 million revolving credit facility for FilmNation, the leading sales, production and financing company founded five years ago by his boss, Glen Basner.
The New York-based outfit, with offices in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood and Beverly Hills, has an impressive track record handling international sales on high-profile titles, including Looper and The King's Speech. Popelka, who lives on the Upper West Side, oversees all day-to-day operations for the company, which also produces its own films, including this year's indie hit Mud.
The Harvard grad, born in Strani, a tiny Czech village, has a multinational background: His parents fled the Communist-controlled country when he was 3 and eventually made their way to Boston after spending nine months hiding in Austria.
FIRST JOB: An entertainment analyst at McKinsey & Co.
MOST MEANINGFUL THING IN MY OFFICE: A picture of my parents and my brother, who is a doctor in Boston.
IF I'M NOT WORKING: Every year, I go to one country I haven't been to before. This year, it was Colombia. Last year, it was India.
FAVORITE MOVIE: The Godfather
PROJECT I'D POACH: Gravity
- True Detective Recap: Sad and Lonely People
- Watch the Fantastic Four Cast Weather These Ignorant Interview Questions
- Travi$ Scott Got Arrested After His Lollapalooza Act for Trying to Make His Fans Go Crazy
- Halt and Catch Fire’s Kerry Bishé on Donna’s Huge Season, and Why the Show Isn’t a Bigger Hit
- Victoria & David Beckham Head Back to LA After Guy Ritchie's Wedding
- Tom Cruise Promotes 'Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation' After Box Office Win!
- January Jones, Kiernan Shipka & Jon Hamm Have 'Mad Men' Reunion At Oceana's SeaChange Party
- These Photos of the 'Fantastic Four' Cast Holding Hands in NYC Are Cutest Thing You'll See Today