The Hollywood Reporter Unveils Comedy Class of 2013
The Mindy Project's Ike Barinholtz pays tongue-in-cheek tribute -- at THR's request -- to his boss, 33, a writer-producer, actress and author
When I read the e-mail that told me I was being included in The Hollywood Reporter's Comedy Class of 2013, I was blown away. Yes, the last year has been quite a ride, and the centerpiece of it has been working on The Mindy Project. But, humbled as I am by this award, I have to split the cash prize with my friend and one of the funniest people I've ever come across, Mindy Kaling, or, as I call her, "Miss Kaling."
If we're being honest, it's kind of insane that Mindy wasn't included on this list in the first place. She had a huge year. Coming off the success of her New York Times best-seller, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, she left The Office to start her own series, The Mindy Project (now airing in North Korea under the title The Supreme Leader Is a Father to Us All). Once the show aired, it was evident that Mindy strikes a chord with young people, specifically women. On Twitter (where Mindy has as many followers as Jamaica has citizens), I constantly see tweets that say, "I AM Mindy!" or "Mindy gets me" or "Meet horny singles in your area click here."
She managed to conceive of, write and produce 24 episodes of this show. That's 12 hours of tape. That's basically six feature-length films or one Terrence Malick film. To be in the writers room and see her take a small idea for a scene and build it into a great comedy run, or to be on set and watch her turn a regular beanbag into a physical comedy set piece, is a thing of joy.
Hold on. As I reread my e-mail, I now see that in fact it is Mindy who is being honored for her spectacular year and not me. Honest mistake, and I am not embarrassed. She really does deserve it. That's not to say I don't, but she's truly incredible.
- Marvin Gaye's Sister Zeola Sets The Record Straight On Reported Family Feud Over 'Blurred Lines' Lawsuit
- New Film Healing of Love Is Challenging the Paradigm of Relationships
- The Death of Fake Reality Television, The Birth of 'Connected'
- Morgan Spurlock, 'One Direction: This Is Us' Director: Zayn Malik 'Struggled The Most' With Touring Demands
- Pia Mia Seduces Us In 'F--k With U' Music Video - Watch Now!
- Jamie Chung Has a Condom Problem in 'Resident Advisors' Clip (Exclusive Video)
- Mark Wahlberg Producing Boston Marathon Bombing Movie 'Patriot's Day'
- Stephen Amell Signs Up to Play Megan Fox's Love Interest in 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2'