The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Influential Interior Designers in L.A.
Peter Dunham credits his pannational background — raised in France, educated at Oxford, U.S. resident at 23 — with informing the eclectic, welcoming aesthetic that’s made him a favorite of Hollywooders who like a little erudition with their decor. In his interiors, his line of textiles inspired by historic Persian patterns, and his voluptuous custom furnishings, Dunham commingles several centuries of style but never strains for effect. “French restraint, English comfort and American practicality and pizzazz,” Dunham, who has lived in L.A. since 1998, explains.
His constituency has the resources — and ego — to hire the very best. “When Hollywood people become successful, the fantasy is you’re hiring Frank Gehry, for God’s sake — almost every great architect has worked on residential projects. You’re building your own set that makes you look sexy, successful, happy, whatever you want to project.”
Dunham’s own domicile — “my gay divorcee bachelor pad,” in a historic West Hollywood building — brims with sensuality and exuberance. He tucks sachets of Santa Maria Novella Potpourri into his suitcases and sleeps in a Georgian fourposter dragooned from legendary designer Tony Duquette’s warehouse. “I don’t like interiors that are too perfect. I want a fancy friend to be as comfortable as my trashy friends.”
Favorite TV set: “The Downton Abbey sets, particularly the downstairs stuff, are flawless at creating a certain mood and time.”
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay