THR Ranks Hollywood's 25 Most Powerful Stylists
WHY SHE MATTERS
In addition to styling fashion’s cool girls -- the ones everyone wants to dress like -- Flannery always manages to surprise on the red carpet and prides herself on being anything but predictable: “When I look at dresses on Style.com, I’m thinking: 'What’s different? What’s the mark? And, where can we really stand apart?' I like things that are classic and elegant but with a little edge or some element that’s totally unique.”
Zoe Saldana, Claire Danes, Emma Stone, Mila Kunis, Megan Fox, Faith Hill
HER TOP LOOK
Homeland winner Danes in a red-hot Versace gown at the Golden Globes -- less than a month after the star gave birth to her son. “It was very down to the wire,” says Flannery of the jaw-dropping va-va-Versace results. "Claire didn’t try the dress on until the night before, so there was a lot of anticipation and asking, ‘Is it going to work out?’ But we pulled it off, and she looked incredible and felt incredible."
GETTING OSCAR GLAM
One night, two major looks. Saldana wasn’t always a fashionista: “Initially, Petra would tell me about designers, and I would go, ‘What?’ But I started learning about them and putting them on, and she created a little monster,” says the New York-raised actress. But when she walked the carpet at this year’s Academy Awards, she was dressed every bit the part in an ultra-high-fashion Alexis Mabille Couture gown with detailed applique, a satin belt and an ombre tiered hemline. “The belt was the cool factor,” notes Flannery. The Star Trek Into Darkness actress later changed into a black Givenchy halter gown for the Vanity Fair party at Sunset Towers. “Petra and I push each other in a good way. ... I now wear pink,” says Saldana, who met the stylist when she moved to Los Angeles to start work on Avatar. Adds San Francisco-born, L.A.-based Flannery, “Yes, the New Yorker wears pink!”
BEYOND THE RED CARPET
Flannery teamed with Target in the summer as a guest editor for its online magazine, On the Dot, and she’s the fashion expert for Heidi Klum’s AOL channel.
- That Story About the Django Unchained Actress Handcuffed for ‘Kissing While Black’ Just Got More Complicated
- Watch a Supercut of Every Impression Bill Hader Did on SNL
- See the Beautiful Book Jacket for Jami Attenberg’s Saint Mazie
- Do I Have Enough Time to Catch Up on Scandal? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Sarah Jessica Parker & Kate Hudson Are Fashion Muses for THR's Top Designers
- Matt Bomer's Robot Hand Won't Let Go of Liv Tyler's Breast in 'Space Station 76' Clip (Exclusive)
- Chloe Moretz: Denzel Washington is a 'Master Class in Acting'
- Jamie Foxx Releases 'Party Ain't a Party,' First New Song Since 2010