Next Gen 2011: Hollywood's Fastest-Rising Stars
One could argue Schwartz, 35, has Stephen Colbert to thank for his career in comedy television. The Colbert Report host, after all, was the Chicago native's first instructor when he enrolled in classes at Second City as teenager. "I didn't have an interest in performing; I wanted to be around comedy and see how everything worked behind the scenes," Schwartz says. He moved west after college and landed his first industry gig as David Lynch's assistant, working on Mulholland Drive, which was being developed as an ABC pilot at the time. Then, as the first web boom was in full swing, he took a job at a startup that produced websites for pro athletes. For the better part of a year, Schwartz was on tour with tennis beauty Anna Kournikova. "It wasn't a bad place to end up when you're a 23-year-old," he says, "but it was a bit odd to be ghost writing for a 16-year-old Russian sex symbol." From there, he moved to an interactive-producer gig at Fox Sports and then on to more traditional roles at Warner Bros. TV and Conan O'Brien's production company, Conaco. In between, the married father of two found a way to monetize his encyclopedic knowledge of pop culture by winning $18,000 on VH1's Rock & Roll Jeopardy. Since joining Olive Bridge, the recently launched shingle from Easy A director Will Gluck, Schwartz has sold seven projects to networks, including a highly sought-after mockumentary-style series from Megamind writers Alan Schoolcraft and Brent Simons.
- Theater Review: Between Riverside and Crazy Lies Exellence
- It’s Time to Revisit All 38 Soundtracks to Hit No. 1 Since Purple Rain
- Let’s Talk About the Guardians of the Galaxy Post-Credits Scene
- Orange Is the New Black’s Barbara Rosenblat on Playing Miss Rosa and Being ‘the Meryl Streep of Audiobooks’
- Theo James Trains to Become Four in 'Divergent' BTS Clip (Exclusive Video)
- Orlando Bloom Continues His Vacation as Rumors Spread About Miranda Kerr's Views on the Justin Bieber Feud
- Kaley Cuoco Steps Out While 'Big Bang Theory' Production Looms Amid Contract Negotiations
- Kit Harington Loses His Signature Curly Hair for Straight Locks in 'Testament of Youth' Trailer - Watch Now!