THR's 2012 Digital Power 50
Beckstrom's three-year reign at ICANN, which orchestrates the Internet address system, ends in July. It's not been without controversy. Beckstrom, 50, introduced the .xxx address suffix for porn sites and spearheaded an initiative to allow just about any word to follow the dot in a web address. The move to exponentially expand the number of generic top-level domains, or gTLDs, has the entertainment industry in a state over who will control .movie, .film and .music. The hefty $185,000 application fee, an annual fee of $25,000 and technical costs of up to $1 million for running a portion of the Internet would mean added costs for entertainment companies, but the potential revenue upside is unclear. Beckstrom hasn't disclosed what he'll do next, but he says the final months of his tenure will be guided by the principle "One world, one Internet."
- Content Titans
- How You Watch
- How It Gets Out There
- Who Pays the Way
- How You Connect
- Mobile Gaming
- How You Make It
- Viral Videos
- Talent Agencies
- Video Games
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!