He ousts his former "American Idol" colleague Simon Cowell from the top spot on The Hollywood Reporter's fourth annual list.
Multihyphenante producer, radio personality and American Idol host Ryan Seacrest tops The Hollywood Reporter’s fourth annual Reality Power List.
Seacrest ousts his former Idol colleague Simon Cowell from the No. 1 spot — which he held in 2009 and 2010 — to lead a roster of 50 industry heavyweights in the reality television world. With The X Factor not yet on the air Stateside, Cowell dropped to No. 6 this year. (Seacrest was ranked No. 5 in 2010.)
The rankings were determined by, among other things: Having a reputation for quality and innovation within the business; the indelible mark one makes on his or her shows as overseeing executive, producer, or talent; ones overall impact on pop culture, and the “watercooler” factor: Ones ability to create dramatic, comedic and can’t-miss TV moments.
In Seacrest’s case, it is an ever-expanding slate of buzzworthy programs that landed him at No.1, including: a resurgent Idol in the wake of Cowell’s high-profile departure; an Emmy win in August for the Seacrest-produced Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution; and four iterations of the red-hot Kardashian franchise. Similarly working in his favor is the power of the Ryan Seacrest brand, which reaches an audience of more than 35 million weekly — and that’s just on TV.
Lifetime and History head Nancy Dubuc moves up to fifth place from No. 15 in 2010, while Jersey Shore producer SallyAnn Salsano (No. 10) and Kitchen Chef’s Gordon Ramsay (No. 20) also make repeat appearances. Morgan J. Freeman, the executive producer of Teen Mom, and Brent Montgomery, the man behind Pawn Stars, make their Reality List debuts at No. 24 and 32, respectively. Kris Jenner, the power behind the Kardashian empire, comes in at No. 50.
Power list bios are below. Click here to read the full story, "Ryan Seacrest: The New King of Reality TV."
Producer, founder of Ryan Seacrest Productionsread more
President of alternative entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Co.read more
Executive vp, alternative programming at CBSread more
John Saade & Vicki Dummer
Senior vps alternative series, specials and late-night, ABC Entertain...read more
President and GM at Lifetime and Historyread more
Founder and owner of Syco, executive producer of "America’s Got Tal...read more
CEO of FremantleMedia North Americaread more
Chairman of Endemol North Americaread more
Executive vp, alternative programming at NBC and Universal Media Stud...read more
Founder and president of 495 Productionsread more
- Empire State Building Pays Tribute To Endangered Animals, Remembers Cecil The Lion
- 'Friday Night Lights' Coach Is Back With A Helpful Pep Talk
- A Fair Way to Choose Candidates for Republican Debate: Learning From the Oscars
- Candace Cameron Bure Shares Adorable Snap Of Kimmy, DJ And Stephanie On Set Of 'Fuller House'
- Watch the Fantastic Four Cast Weather These Ignorant Interview Questions
- Travi$ Scott Got Arrested After His Lollapalooza Act for Trying to Make His Fans Go Crazy
- Halt and Catch Fire’s Kerry Bishé on Donna’s Huge Season, and Why the Show Isn’t a Bigger Hit
- Mitt Romney Is Going to Be Pissed If There Are No Pancakes on Stephen Colbert's Late Show
- January Jones, Kiernan Shipka & Jon Hamm Have 'Mad Men' Reunion At Oceana's SeaChange Party
- These Photos of the 'Fantastic Four' Cast Holding Hands in NYC Are Cutest Thing You'll See Today
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Killer Bikini Body in New Selfie
- Christina Applegate Answers Question About 80s Breakup With Brad Pitt (Video)