THR's Women in Entertainment 2012: Power 100
Fresh from a sprawling reboot of NBCUniversal's decade-old Style brand, Smith, 42, is on track to finish her sixth year running the network by besting 2011's record ratings, accomplished largely through growing series like Giuliana & Bill and emulating sister nets E! and Bravo by building franchises with Jerseylicious and Big Rich Texas spinoffs.
Moment I knew I wanted to work in the business: When I stepped on an oil field, wearing a hard hat, for my first engineering internship. I just had this moment of "This was not what I was destined to do."
Who gave me my first big break: Cyma Zarghami. When I was in my 20s, she hired me to launch Nickelodeon in other countries. She kick-started my global adventure in children's television, and I've been able to parlay a lot of that into what I'm doing now.
Toughest decision I had to make this year: Letting go of the old Style logo.
Favorite way to unwind on the weekend: If I have time, I watch the same three chick flicks again and again: The Notebook, Love Actually and Pride and Prejudice.
One indulgence A dirty martini, daily.
Can't get through my workday without: Consuming something chocolate. I have a stash of Hershey's Kisses in my office.
Proudest moment this year: When my 5-year-old daughter [Smith is married with two children] declared that she no longer wants to be a princess or the tooth fairy: she wants to be a scientist.
Totally starstruck around: It doesn't happen often, but when I met [Luther star] Idris Elba and was rendered speechless.
- Items 1-10
- Items 11-20
- Items 21-30
- Items 31-40
- Items 41-50
- Items 51-60
- Items 61-70
- Items 71-80
- Items 81-90
- Items 91-100
- True Detective Recap: Sad and Lonely People
- Watch the Fantastic Four Cast Weather These Ignorant Interview Questions
- Travi$ Scott Got Arrested After His Lollapalooza Act for Trying to Make His Fans Go Crazy
- Halt and Catch Fire’s Kerry Bishé on Donna’s Huge Season, and Why the Show Isn’t a Bigger Hit
- Victoria & David Beckham Head Back to LA After Guy Ritchie's Wedding
- Tom Cruise Promotes 'Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation' After Box Office Win!
- January Jones, Kiernan Shipka & Jon Hamm Have 'Mad Men' Reunion At Oceana's SeaChange Party
- These Photos of the 'Fantastic Four' Cast Holding Hands in NYC Are Cutest Thing You'll See Today