Hollywood's 20 Masters of Horror: The Twisted Talents Raising the Most Hell
If the King family business is horror — after all, King is the best-selling horror novelist in the world — then Hill will inherit the keys to the shop. “I resisted it at first, but it was always in the cards, I guess,” jokes Hill about following in the footsteps of his father.
Still, Hill, 41 — who shortened his middle name, Hillstrom, into his pen name to avoid comparisons to his dad — stands as his own man. His three novels have all been New York Times best-sellers--2007’s Heart-Shaped Box, this year’s NOS4A2 and 2010's Horns, which was adapted into a feature film starring Daniel Radcliffe that debuted at the 2013 Toronto Film Festival.
Of course, the giddy thrill of seeing one’s work on the big screen is old hat for King, who has had dozens of his books translated into film, starting with his first book, 1974’s Carrie — which is getting another run at moviegoers Oct. 18 with Chloe Moretz playing King’s telekinetic high school heroine. That’s just icing on the cake of an already stellar year for the 66-year-old: Two best-sellers hit shelves — Joyland, about a killer on the loose in an amusement park, and Doctor Sleep, the long-awaited sequel to The Shining — and the hit CBS miniseries based on King’s 2009 novel, Under the Dome, premiered.
“I don’t think my dad ever wrote anything where he thought, ‘Boy, this is going to sell,’ ” says Hill. “He strictly writes for the pleasure of entertaining himself, and the fact that the stuff turned out to be very successful is an afterthought.”
Read THR's complete Masters of Horror list here.
- A 'Bachelor' Casting Call Is Pretty Much Like Being In Vegas, And NOT In A Good Way
- Carrie Underwood Covers Wiz Khalifa's 'See You Again' Like A Boss
- Comedian Kurt Braunohler Is Driving A Giant Butt Across The Country, Because America Needs This
- Sandra Bullock On Media's Treatment Of Women: 'It's Become Open Hunting Season'
- Rick and Morty Season 2 Trailer: It’s Probably Best If Morty Started Driving the Spaceship
- Stephen Colbert Filmed a 40-Minute Public-Access Show in a Random Small Town to Remind You That, Character or Not, He’s the Best
- Paul Rudd Can’t Resist a Good Fart Joke
- What’s a Good Post-Divorce Show? Your Pressing TV Questions, Answered
- Adam Driver Premieres His Film 'While We're Young' in Paris
- 'The Dukes of Hazzard' Pulled From TV Land Schedule After Confederate Flag Controversy
- Watch Stephen Colbert Hilariously Interview Eminem on 'Only in Monroe' Public Access Show
- Rachel Bilson Doesn't Mind a 5am Poop Diaper If It Comes with This View!