THR's Women in Entertainment 2012: Power 100
O’Connor, 43, joined the top-rated Spanish-language media company in 2008 and was charged with leading Univision through its first-ever retransmission consent negotiations for its two broadcast networks -- as well as for its recently launched suite of cable and digital network, UVideos. She’s not bilingual, but she is the highest-ranking woman at Univision -- which commands 59 percent of the Spanish-speaking audience -- and reports directly to president and CEO Randy Falco. “When I first came to the company five years ago, it was all about retransmission consent,” says the married mother of three. “Now it’s about something that’s much bigger than that.”
Who gave me my first big break: Jeff Shell, CEO of Gemstar/TV Guide. He helped me realize my potential by putting me in my first leadership role overseeing distribution in 2005.
Toughest decision I had to make this year: Choosing between our quarterly board meeting and my daughter’s kindergarten graduation. I chose the latter.
When I leave work each day, I can’t wait to: I commute from Summit, N.J., into the city, and on my way home I’m always excited to get on the train and fire up my iPad and read The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. I read all the trade magazines -- The Hollywood Reporter, of course. I also like design magazines Elle Decor and Traditional Home.
Favorite way to unwind on the weekend: We like hiking out at our house in Elk Mountain, Pa.
Can’t get through my workday without: Texting my nanny, kids and husband. And just to be clear, I do not text with my 5-year-old.
Proudest moment this year: Launching four new services that super-service the Hispanic consumer this year: Univision Telenovelas, Univision Deportes, Univision Noticias and UVideos.
When my relatives are confused about what I do, I tell them: It’s my job to make sure our networks are on your cable and satellite lineup. But my dad will be like, “So did you sell any ads today?”
- Items 1-10
- Items 11-20
- Items 21-30
- Items 31-40
- Items 41-50
- Items 51-60
- Items 61-70
- Items 71-80
- Items 81-90
- Items 91-100
- Charli XCX's Sultry Backstreet Boys Cover Is The Ultimate #TBT
- Frankly, My Dear, I Don't Give A Straw: 'Gone With The Wind's' Secret Curse History - Pop Culture - TODAY.com
- ‘Serial' Fans Are Buzzing About Podcast Finale
- Brooke Shields: Hollywood Wasn't My Undoing, Loving My Alcoholic Mother Was - Pop Culture - TODAY.com
- Bill Murray Will Sing 'Bare Necessities' in 'Jungle Book' Reboot!
- 'Team America: World Police' Showings Cancelled By Paramount After Sony Hack Threats
- Kim Kardashian Has Not Yet Commented About the Man Who Spent a Shocking Amount to Look Just Like Her
- Jada Pinkett Smith Shows Some Love for Her Daughter Willow's Friend