'300' Producer Mark Canton Inks First-Look Deal With Starz
In addition to the network's upcoming 50 Cent drama "Power," Canton will develop programming for the cable network.
Starz has locked up producer Mark Canton.
The feature producer behind the 300 franchise has inked a first-look deal to develop and produce high-concept original programming for the premium cable network.
Canton, who is reteaming with Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson on Starz's upcoming drama series Power, become the second producer to sign an overall deal with Starz, joining Spartacus creator Steven S. DeKnight.
"We are excited to continue our relationship with Mark and his team as we continue to grow the Starz original programing slate. His success making breakthrough entertainment is singular, and we look forward to our partnership,” Starz managing director Carmi Zlotnik said in a statement Tuesday.
Added Canton: "[CEO] Chris Albrecht and his team at Starz have given me the opportunity to jump headfirst into the episodic television arena, with a mandate to bring exciting, powerful audience-pleasing programming to the network. I appreciate their confidence in me and am looking forward to a long and successful relationship with them in the years ahead."
Power's first season will consist of eight hourlong episodes and begin filming later this year. The Good Wife's Courtney Kemp-Agboh created the drama and serves as showrunner. She'll exec produce alongside Canton, Jackson, Randall Emmett (2 Guns) and David Knoller (Big Love).
Power unites 50 Cent with Canton and Emmett, who also starred in Escape Plan as well as the duo's Frozen Ground, the latter of which he produced. Escape Plan is due in theaters in October.
Atmosphere Entertainment senior vp David Hopwood will work with Canton to develop projects for Starz.
Canton is repped by Bloom Hergott.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack