Crystal Bowersox 'Is a Natural' on 'Body of Proof' says Dana Delany (Video)
THR spoke to the series star and the "American Idol" alum about her acting debut on the ABC drama.
You’ve seen her pour her soul out for her music. But on Tuesday’s Body of Proof on ABC, American Idol alum Crystal Bowersox will be taking on a whole different persona. She’s playing Zoe Brant, a former drug addict who gets pulled in to a murder investigation.
“I've been around the world and I've seen some pretty dark things,” Bowersox tells The Hollywood Reporter about getting into her character. “And if I just really kind of just put myself in a position of desperation where I would need to resort to using drugs and the fact that the character was a mother as well.”
“I have a two and a half year-old son and I can't even imagine what it would be like to be locked up for a bad decision and away from him,” she continues. “I can hardly stand to go away for a couple days when I have a show. So, I really fed on that emotion and drawing from my own motherhood.”
Bowersox says she tried to do some acting in high school, but “was always in too much trouble for the extracurricular stuff.” Yet, regardless of her lack of formal training, she left a good impression with the series’ star.
“Her first acting gig ever and she was great. That girl is a natural,” Dana Delany tells THR about Bowersox. “And after we finished shooting the scene, she brought her guitar out and played for everybody, which is so cool.”
In fact, it seems that music wasn’t far from her mind and the experience of acting may have helped her branch out a bit with her own songs.
“I did start writing a tune in the hotel room in Rhode Island when we filmed it,” Bowersox says.
“Most of my songs are from my own perspective,” she goes on to say. “Storytelling is another world of songwriting that I'll get into in the future.”
Bowersox released her debut album, Farmer’s Daughter, in December 2010. It has sold more than 205,000 copies.
Body of Proof airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on ABC.
Watch a preview of Bowersox in her guest role below.
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game