ABC Orders Comedy Pilot From 'Everybody Loves Raymond' Creator, 'New Girl' Star
Phil Rosenthal is writing and exec producing the family comedy, with Max Winkler, Rob Reinis and Jake Johnson on board as EPs.
ABC is investing in family comedy.
The network has ordered multi-camera effort The Winklers to pilot. The half-hour vehicle hails from a group that knows a thing or two about the genre: Everybody Loves Raymond creator Phil Rosenthal and Happy Days star Henry Winkler's son Max Winkler and son-in-law Rob Reinis. The elder Winkler will likely star, though no deal has been signed.
The Winklers is based on the Winklers' lives, centering on an emotionally reserved construction worker who learns about love, life and hugs while unexpectedly living with his over-sharing in-laws. The project is being produced by New Girl star Jake Johnson and director Max Winkler's 20th Century Fox TV-based shingle, The Walcott Company, in association with 20th TV. Winkler, Reinis and Johnson will serve as executive producers, with CAA-repped Rosenthal writing and exec producing.
It joins nine other comedies in contention at ABC, including a Kevin Hart entry and Nahnatchka Khan's recently ordered Fresh Off the Boat.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!