ABC Reimagining 'Beauty and the Beast'
“Human Target” scribe Jonathan E. Steinberg is attached to pen the hourlong drama.
Disney is continuing to mine its library of classics.
ABC is developing an hourlong drama based on Beauty and the Beast.
“Human Target” scribe Jonathan E. Steinberg (Jericho) is attached to executive produce and pen the project, described as an epic fantasy reimagining of the classic Beauty and the Beast tale.
Gary Fleder (Life Unexpected) and Mary Beth Basile (October Road) also are attached to executive produce the project, from ABC Studios, through their Mojo Films shingle.
The ABC update is the latest in a long line of remakes of the classic tale.
Disney's 1991 animated feature, featuring the voices of Angela Lansbury and Jerry Orbach, among others, grossed more than $387 million worldwide.
The 1987 CBS live-action drama starring Ron Perlman as Vincent (aka the Beast) and Linda Hamilton and Catherine (the Beauty) ran for three seasons.
More recently, this year's feature adaptation of Alex Finn's 2007 novel Beastly, starring Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens, collected $28 million domestically.
ABC's Beauty and the Beast update comes as the network prepares for the Oct. 23 launch of Once Upon a Time, the dual universe drama revolving around Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) and her long-lost daughter (Jennifer Morrison).
Fleder, with Life Unexpected creator Liz Tigelaar, is also also adapting the 2009 feature The Joneses for ABC.
More TV development news
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR