ABC Says 'Save Happy Endings' in New Promo (Video)
Displaced to Fridays starting March 29, the shuffled comedy at least seems to have the network rooting for it.
"Save Happy Endings" has been popping up as a hashtag since the underdog comedy debuted in 2011, but fans have been using it more frequently since ABC opted to shelve the series for much of the midseason.
And now that the network is promoting the series' move to Fridays, it's taking the rather unusual step of admitting Happy Endings' bubble status in its own commercials.
"You can save Happy Endings," says a particularly serious voiceover, before plugging the comedy's new back-to-back block.
It's promising news for fans who might have thought ABC had given up on the ratings-challenged show completely. Then again, it might also imply an unrealistic expectation for viewers. Friday night isn't known for its scripted comedies or a high volume of the coveted adults 18-49. And Happy Endings has always seen much of its success from time-shifted audiences. Season to date, the show is averaging nearly a 50 percent boost in the key ratings demo after seven days of DVR usage.
Happy Endings returns Friday, March 29, at 8 p.m. on ABC.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR