ABC's 'Super Fun Night,' 'Back in the Game' Earn Additional Script Orders
UPDATED: The two Wednesday night freshman comedies have been picked up for two additional scripts each.
ABC is showing a small vote of confidence in Wednesday comedies Super Fun Night and Back in the Game.
The pair of rookies have received orders for two additional scripts each, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
Redeveloped from CBS' year-ago take, the ABC/Warner Bros. Television comedy starring Rebel Wilson opened with its second episode -- following a wave of lackluster reviews for the pilot. Airing in the prime post-Modern Family slot, Super Fun Night averaged a 3.2 in the demo, besting the network's strongest premiere retention from a Modern Family lead-in (an even 4.2 adults) in four years. Since its Oct. 2 bow, SFN has fallen about 30 percent among adults under 50.
Semi-autobiographical baseball family comedy Back in the Game, from brothers Mark and Robb Cullen and 20th Century Fox TV, launched as the new lead-in to Emmy darling Modern Family, earning a 2.2 rating among adults 18-49. It marked ABC's lowest fall comedy launch since 2009. In subsequent weeks, the series has continued to shed viewers in the metric, most recently pulling a 1.9 in the demo, up week-over-week. When factoring in DVR playback, the series is up 14 percent among viewers 18-49.
Super Fun Night and Back in the Game join fellow freshman comedies Trophy Wife and The Goldbergs as having received additional script orders at the network. The latter two, part of ABC's new Tuesday night lineup, have been picked up for three additional scripts. None of ABC's comedy fare has received full-season orders, while drama Agents of SHIELD is its lone drama to earn the back-nine. The network canceled first-year drama Lucky 7 after only two episodes.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'