Alec Baldwin Plays Anchor on MSNBC, Says Republicans Are Scared, Talks Mayor Run (Video)
The "30 Rock" star appeared on a panel on the cable network's show "The Last Word" and gave his take on current events and politics.
On NBC, Alec Baldwin appears as arch-conservative 30 Rock character Jack Donaghy; on its sister cable network, MSNBC, he offers the perspective of a politically active New York City progressive.
The Emmy-winner appeared on Lawrence O'Donnell's news show The Last Word on Tuesday, playing anchor for a while and then joining a panel with Alex Wagner to discuss the already-heated presidential race.
“These guys are really, really getting scared. They know it’s not looking good for them," Baldwin said of Republicans. "They spent a lot of money on a very bloody primary. I was one of the people that said quickly that all Obama needs to do for the first month of the general election is just slow clips of [Newt] Gingrich’s remarks about [Mitt] Romney."
Baldwin added that he thinks the GOP will begin focusing on congressional races, as it "is starting to look like Obama has it in the bag."
The star went on to praise Obama's speech in Afghanistan on Monday for its focus on peace and ending war, juxtaposing it with a long series of Republicans debates that failed to discuss ending battles.
As for public relations, Baldwin said that Romney isn't finding a way to connect with the majority of American voters, largely because of his wealth and corporate background.
"Romney is as out of touch with the average American as we could possibly find on the meter today," he said. "In terms of being in touch with the average American, we would be better off with Gingrich than Romney, in terms of personal wealth and attitude about lifestyle and so forth."
Later, in a web exclusive, Baldwin discussed his potential runs for office in New York, noting that there are many sitting Democrats in his home districts. He also was a bit critical of Mayor Bloomberg, saying that he was a great person but only a decent mayor, who used his own personal wealth as a grease to get a lot of things accomplished.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!