Charlie Sheen Addresses 'American Idol' Rumors on 'The Tonight Show' (Video)
The "Anger Management" star talks to Jay Leno about reports that he is being wooed to join the show as a judge for its upcoming 12th season.
Last week the Internet was abuzz over rumors that Charlie Sheen might join American Idol as a judge.
Nigel Lythgoe also fanned the flames when he told TMZ that he would push for Sheen -- and Jerry Lewis -- to join the show for its upcoming 12th season if he were to return as executive producer, though it's unclear if he was joking.
Moreover, the rumblings came the same week that Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez announced that they will depart Fox's reality singing competition.
In response to the reports, Sheen told TMZ that he'd join the judges' panel on two conditions: 1) that FX, home of his new comedy series Anger Management, sign off on any deal and 2) that his salary be substantial enough and include a commitment that "Idol matches 20 percent of my weekly salary for Autism Speaks, JDRF, and the Boys and Girls Club."
However, Sheen tells Jay Leno on Monday night's episode of The Tonight Show that he was never contacted by Idol producers before the rumors began circulating.
"I had never thought about it, and I heard it on the news, so I thought I'd better respond to that," he says on the NBC late-night show, which airs at 11:35 p.m. "I came up with my terms ... and I'm waiting to hear back."
When asked by Leno if they would like to see Sheen as judge, many in the audience cheered and applauded.
Sheen admitted that he doesn't critique the show while watching at home -- though he noted he does play air guitar and drums -- but still thinks he'd be a good judge.
"I could be helpful and give these kids some guidance without leading them to suicide," he joked.
Quipped Leno in response: "If I had a child that needed guidance, I would send that child to you."
Watch a portion of the interview below.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game