September 15, 2011 6:17am PT by Lindsay Powers
'America's Got Talent' Winner Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.: 5 Things to Know
NBC's America's Got Talent crowned Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. winner on Wednesday night. Here are a few things you may not know about him to keep up with the water cooler conversation today:
1. He's a jazz singer from Logan County, West Virginia. While he pursued his singing career, he also washed cars at a dealership to support his family of four children.
STORY: 'America's Got Talent' Season 6 Winner Revealed
2. He's the son of the late Reverend Cecil Murphy, a noted preacher, and got his start entertaining and singing songs by Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and The Temptations in church from a young age.
VIDEO: Susan Boyle Debuts New Song on 'America's Got Talent'
3. Murphy Jr. began performing professionally after his then-girlfriend (now wife) Jennifer Carter bet him that he could win a talent show at a local arts and craft show in 2003. He did, and the crafts fair invited him back to sing each year after that. From there, he was also hired to perform at local charity events, such as the We Can Program, the Chamber of Commerce and the Children's Home Society.
TV Ratings: NBC Takes Top Prize With 'America’s Got Talent'
4. He won the sixth season after performing Frank Sinatra's My Way. He performed on the show with Patti LaBelle.
VIDEO: 'America's Got Talent' Winner: What the Viewers Are Saying
5. He wins $1 million and a contract as a headliner in Las Vegas. He'll begin at Caesars Palace in October. Runner-ups PopLyfe, iLuminate and The Silhouettes will also perform at the show.