Andy Rooney: 5 Memorable Rants (Video)
After more than 1,000 broadcasts, the 92-year-old newsman will say goodbye to his “60 Minutes” post on Sunday.
As Andy Rooney prepares to sign off from CBS’ 60 Minutes, where he has been a fixture since 1978, mainstream viewers and industry insiders reflect on the newsman’s legacy.
Rooney has been at 60 Minutes since Don Hewitt conceived the show in 1968; he wrote and produced segments for Harry Reasoner. Rooney's first essay was about the reporting of automobile fatalities on Fourth of July weekend 1978. That fall, he became a regular essayist on the show. He alternated weeks with James J. Kilpatrick and Shana Alexander. But a year later, he got the end slot to himself.
While Rooney is not likely to be replaced, his rants have come to be a staple of the program. The Hollywood Reporter takes a look back at a few of his more memorable moments, including his vocal concern over losing touch with today’s top selling artists, such as Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Usher – “Who?!” he pondered.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR