'Anger Management' Sets Cable Comedy Record With 5.74 Million Viewers
UPDATED: With a potential 90-episode renewal on the line, the FX comedy posts strong ratings with viewers and adults 18-49 as Russell Brand's "BrandX" gets off to a solid start.
Charlie Sheen and FX should be nothing but happy with Anger Management's premiere ratings.
Thursday night's debut of the sitcom star's follow-up to Two and Half Men ranks as the most-watched scripted comedy broadcast in cable history -- among both adults 18-49 and total viewers (excluding children's programming).
The series averaged 5.47 million viewers, 2.65 million of which were in the key demo. A second episode at 9:30 p.m. actually improved, posting 5.74 million total viewers and 2.89 million in the demo.
If subsequent episodes meet an undisclosed ratings threshold, the series will earn an additional 90-episode order -- per the arrangement with distributor Debmar-Mercury.
Meanwhile, Wilfred and Louie received significant boosts over last season, thanks in no small part to the lead-in from Anger Management. Wilfred rose 71 percent in its sophomore-season premiere (2.53 million total viewers) from last year's average, while the Season 3 bow of Louie was up 55 percent (1.43 million).
And at 11 p.m., FX's late-night venture with Russell Brand, BrandX, earned 1.1 million viewers in its inaugural broadcast, with 687,000 among them adults 18-49. The numbers gave the network respective 32 and 38 percent boosts compared with the time slot average.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR