'Awkward's' Lauren Iungerich Inks Script Deal at Warner Bros. TV (Exclusive)
UPDATED: She'll develop a funny relationship comedy for the studio, which will then be shopped to networks.
Awkward's Lauren Iungerich has found a new home.
The creator of MTV's critical darling has inked a blind script deal with Warner Bros. Television, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.
Under the deal, Iungerich will write and develop a new project -- a funny relationship comedy -- for the studio, which will then shop the project to networks. The pact marks Iungerich's first new project since she parted ways with Awkward in June.
The former showrunner -- who fielded multiple script offers from other studios -- completed work on the third season of the comedy, which under her oversight won a People's Choice Award for favorite cable comedy and netted star Beau Mirchoff a Teen Choice Award for his breakout performance.
Beyond Awkward -- the network's longest-running scripted comedy -- Iungerich developed pilot Hot Mess for the younger-skewing cabler, which was redeveloped twice after its previous incarnation Dumb Girls was passed over at the network. Hot Mess was first developed under former MTV head of programming David Janollari, who was replaced by Lifetime vet Susanne Daniels in November. Daniels picked up Hot Mess to series but opted not to move forward with the project after Iungerich exited the project as the showrunner's voice was the heart of the show.
For its part, MTV renewed Awkward on Aug. 5, announcing that former 90210 writers/consulting producers Chris Alberghini and Mike Chessler would take over showrunning duties from Iungerich.
MTV this season used the supersized third season of Awkward to launch a new women-themed block of programming in April that included Guy Code spinoff Girl Code. The latter series has been renewed for a second season.
Iungerich is repped by WME, Robyn Meisinger at Madhouse Entertainment and McKuin Frankel Whitehead.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)