CBS Adapting Cameron Diaz Starrer 'Bad Teacher' With Hilary Winston
Feature writers Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg are on board to executive produce the half-hour project for Sony Pictures Television.
CBS is hiring a bad teacher.
The network has given script orders to a half-hour comedy based on the 2011 Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake feature Bad Teacher, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
The project hails from Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg, the screenwriters behind the Columbia Pictures feature that grossed more than $216 million worldwide.
The film starred Diaz as a gold-digging middle school teacher who set her sights on a wealthy colleague (Timberlake) but ultimately wound up receiving an education about life and love -- and romance with the gym teacher (Jason Segal).
Hot writer Hilary Winston is on board to pen the script and executive produce the single-camera effort alongside Stupnitsky and Eisenberg for Columbia sibling Sony Pictures Television and the film's Mosaic Media Group.
The project marks the latest for Happy Endings and Community scribe Winston, who in April inked a new two-year deal to remain at SPT. This past pilot season, Winston had a workplace comedy Happy Valley starring Freddie Prinze Jr. and Mena Suvari set up at NBC. The network passed on the single-camera project in May.
Winston's credits also include My Name is Earl and Blue Collar TV. On the feature side, she's adapting her book My Boyfriend Wrote a Book About Me with SNL's Lorne Michaels for Paramount. Winston is repped by UTA, Mosaic and Morris Yorn. The scribe has also set up Girls on Film, a relationship comedy with Fanfare's Jamie Tarses on board to exec produce about three best friends who are all single at 30 with different levels of dating experience. The single-camera comedy received a script plus penalty commitment from NBC.
Stupnitsky and Eisenberg, both long-time writer/executive producerss on NBC's The Office, also penned the upcoming Ghostbusters III and Year One. They're repped by WME and Mosaic.
FX landed the first-run TV rights to Bad Teacher last year.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera