'Bible' Producers Talk Satan Controversy With Oprah (Video)
"We felt somehow hijacked," by the comparison made of the similarity between the president and the actor who plays the devil, says Roma Downey.
The Bible producer Roma Downey felt her show was "hijacked" after a social-media firestorm ensued in March over the alleged physical similarity between President Obama and the actor who played Satan.
"The night before that broke in the news, Jesus had made his first appearance on the screen and I was so looking forward to Monday and knowing that Jesus would be on the lips of everyone," she told Oprah Winfrey in released excerpts of an interview to be aired Sunday, April 14, on OWN.
Downey added: "For Satan to be the point of conversation was really heartbreaking. ... We love the president, we have nothing but respect for the president. We felt somehow hijacked."
Her husband and Bible co-producer, Mark Burnett, brushed off the controversy, saying, "If you're gonna do what we do for a living, which is stick your neck out there ... it's a free country and you got to accept that."
The conclusion of the miniseries, which aired on Easter Sunday, garnered 11.6 million viewers.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR