'Big Bang Theory's' Mayim Bialik Looks Back on Emmy Night
The first-time nominee recounts a sweltering red carpet experience, chance encounters with Glenn Close and "being able to breathe again" after her category was announced.
Mayim Bialik's first Emmys as a nominee are now officially in the books. The Big Bang Theory actress, nominated for her supporting turn in the CBS comedy, capped off the long awards season road Sunday at the Primetime Emmy Awards, where she continued to unexpectedly bump into co-stars including Jim Parsons. Following a long weekend of parties -- where she was awestruck by Hatfields & McCoys Emmy winner Kevin Costner -- and months of planning, the former Blossom star waited with baited breath as she heard her name announced from the stage as a nominee.
Here, the actress recounts her top 10 moments from Sunday's 64th annual Primetime Emmys.
10. The red carpet seemed five miles long this year. It was, of course, a very hot day, especially if you're wearing long sleeves. At least one reporter passed out and although last year's red carpet was hectic, this year's carpet seemed more so!
9. While waiting to be interviewed on the red carpet for one of the shows that interviews you from five steps up, I spied Judd Apatow walking by. We made eye contact and I smiled real big and waved happily.
8. My publicist Heather Weiss is smart and savvy for many reasons, but last night she was smart and savvy for having me pose for my photos on the red carpet as soon as I arrived rather than waiting until the end of the red carpet period when I would be not only rushed to get inside, but super sweaty as well. Good thinking, Heather!
7. My agents, my manager and my husband all stayed with me as Heather and I worked the red carpet for almost two full hours. I'm told that sometimes security will clear the red carpet of your "people," but I'm really glad we got to move as a unit for those two hours.
6. Once inside the Nokia Theatre, with minutes to spare, I was whisked downstairs for some last-minute shopping in the gifting suite for nominees. As I was escorted downstairs, I serendipitously ran into Jim Parsons! He was on his way backstage to prepare for presenting the second award of the night. He playfully teased me that "I'm always about gifting suites," and we wished each other luck and said a fond farewell.
5. Here's who was in the elevator from the gifting suite back up to the seating level of the theater: my castmate and good buddy Melissa Rauch! And, oh yeah: also, Glenn Close.
4. My favorite parts of the ceremony were Ricky Gervais, Tracy Morgan laying flat on the floor of the stage for 10 minutes, Louis C.K.'s multiple wins and Jon Stewart's acceptance speech. However, best speech of the night goes to Claire Danes, who seems to have mastered the art of thanking everyone elegantly and graciously in less than 45 seconds.
3. My fifth favorite part of the night was being able to breathe again after my award was presented. [The supporting actress in a comedy trophy went to Modern Family's Julie Bowen.]
2. The Governor's Ball featured a gigantic red rose covering most of the ceiling. It also featured three blonde women in red dresses playing, yes, Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" on violins. Enough said.
1. I'd been fighting a cold for the two days before the Emmys and somewhere mid-Emmys I lost the fight. After spending some time with our incredible writers, cast and support team from CBS and Warner Bros. Television, I headed home from what will be heretofore be known as the first Emmys I went to as an Emmy-nominated actress.
For more on Bialik's Emmy experience, check out her blog on Kveller.com. The Big Bang Theory returns Thursday at 8 p.m. on CBS.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR