'Big Brother' Host Julie Chen on Racist Comments: 'It Stung' (Video)
"The Talk" co-host admitted contestant Aaryn Gries' offensive statements "took me back to the '70s … I took it personally."
Big Brother finally addressed some of its houseguests' derogatory statements in a recent episode, but host Julie Chen used CBS morning show The Talk to offer her take on the ongoing controversy.
"When I first heard found out that Aaryn [Gries], who is a 22-year-old girl, made anti-gay, anti-black and anti-Asian comments, I have to be honest, the Asian ones hit me the most. I heard about her describing Asians as 'squinty-eyed' and 'go make a bowl of rice,' " Chen said on Monday's episode, referencing comments Gries made about Helen Kim, an Asian-American contestant.
"It stung. I took it personally; I'm a human being," Chen continued. "The really sad part was it took me back to the '70s when I was growing up in Queens and when I was 7 years old being bullied being called a chink and people pulling their eyes. But it took me back so many years and I thought to myself: Wow I haven't heard comments like that. The year is 2013 … and then I felt ignorant. Wow, there are people who still live in this country who feel that way and act that way. Yes, there is. Yes, there is. And afterward, it just made me sad because she's 22 and she's college-educated."
The Talk co-host Sara Gilbert commented on CBS' decision to air Gries' comments in the July 7 episode. "I feel like it's good for people to see it and let these people deal with these consequences when they get out of the house," she said.
Gries is one of three houseguests under fire for insensitive comments made in the house during the 90-day competition. The Texas resident has since been dropped by her modeling agency and lost a gig with Bella Petite magazine.
Big Brother next airs 8 p.m. Wednesday on CBS.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)