CBS Renews 'Big Brother' for 16th Season
"Big Brother: After Dark" will also return for a second season on TVGN.
CBS is sticking with Big Brother.
Less than a week before the Julie Chen-hosted summer reality staple closes out its current cycle, the network is moving ahead with a 16th season, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The new season will be broadcast next summer.
Additionally, Big Brother: After Dark -- the nightly Big Brother live feed show -- will return for a second season on TVGN. (It previously ran on Showtime 2.)
Big Brother, which crossed the 500th episode milestone Sept. 5, debuted in 2000 and has been a solid ratings performer for CBS. This season saw an expanded run, prompting an early kickoff in late June.
Season to date, Big Brother -- airing three nights a week in primetime -- averages 7.3 million viewers, a 2.6 rating among adults 18-49 and a 3.1 among adults 25-54. CBS touts that the show is up in all three measures compared to season 14.
This particular edition of Big Brother has not been without controversy. Several houseguests were heard making racial slurs on the 24-hour live feed, causing viewer uproar and prompting longtime host Chen, as well as CBS Corp. CEO and president Les Moonves, to weigh in on the matter. In response to the outcry, CBS began inserting disclaimers ahead of its broadcasts and online -- the first time it has done so during its run.
Big Brother crowns the season 15 winner of the $500,000 grand prize in the 90-minute finale airing Sept. 18 following the return of Survivor.
Big Brother is executive produced by Allison Grodner and Rich Meehan for Fly on the Wall Entertainment in association with Endemol USA.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game