Bill Nye Slams Creationism, Asks Parents to Abstain From Teaching it to Kids (Video)
The man best known as "The Science Guy" has some tough words for those that deny evolution.
You know what gets Bill Nye's bowtie spinning? People who would refute the teachings of Charles Darwin.
The beloved scientist and television host posted a video on the website Big Think this weekend, making a case for evolution, which he called "the fundamental idea in all of life science, in all of biology." Not believing in the idea holds everybody back, he said.
"It's very much analogous in trying to do geology without believing in tectonic plates," Nye offered. "You're just not going to get the right answer. Your whole world is going to be a mystery instead of an exciting place."
Name-dropping his former mentor, astronomy all-star Carl Sagan, Nye made his case in a passionate yet restrained fashion.
"Once in a while I get people that claim they don't believe in evolution," he continued. "And my response generally is 'why not?' Your world just becomes fantastically complicated when you don't believe in evolution."
Finally, he made an appeal: "I say to grownups, if you want to live in your world without completely inconsistent with everything we observe in the universe, that's fine. But don't make your kids do it. Because we need them. We need scientifically literate voters and tax payers for the future."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'